Effective from August 2017 intake
The coursework for this specialisation comprises 1 core course, 2 required specialisation courses, 2 specialisation elective courses, 1 open elective course plus either:
- a dissertation or
- two additional courses (one specialisation elective course and MED 902 Integrative Project)
MED 902 Integrative Project is open only for applicants pursuing the degree totally by coursework.
- MED 900 Educational Inquiry
Educational Inquiry is taught in English. All required specialisation courses are taught in the language of the specialisation.
Required Specialisation Courses
- MML 901 Research in Language Education
- MML 902 Critical and Creative Thinking to Enhance Learning
- MML 903 Literature Education
- MML 904 Features of the Malay Language in Singapore
- MML 905 School-based Curriculum Design for Malay Language Teaching
Specialisation Elective Courses
- MML 903 Literature Education **
- MML 904 Features of the Malay Language in Singapore **
- MML 905 School-based Curriculum Design for Malay Language Teaching **
- MML 906 Education in Malay and Islamic Traditions
- MML 907 Language, Literacy and Culture
- MML 908 Literary Criticism and Theories
- MML 909 Theories of Grammar
- MML 910 Bilingualism and Multilingualism
- MML 911 Malay Culture and Values
- MML 912 The socio-cultural History of the Malays
- MML 913 Critical Approaches to Language
- MML 914 Using Children and Young Adult Literature to Promote Social Emotional Learning
** Students who have already satisfied the requirement of taking two Required Specialization courses may opt to take the remaining of these courses in fulfilment of their electives requirement.
Open Elective Courses
Other than the core and specialisation courses, you may select open elective courses offered across all NIE Master Degree programmes. The offer of electives is reviewed regularly to reflect developments in education and the respective fields. You are advised to take note of the prerequisites (if any) before registering.
Optional Specialisation Courses are offered subject to demand and availability of faculty expertise. Hence, not all specialisation courses are available for selection to every intake.
Download the course descriptions for the programme
Important note for matriculated students:
Please refer to the ISAAC system for the programme structure relevant to your intake during Course Registration or consult your programme leader if you need clarifications.
Note: Programme structure is subject to changes