Roshan Deen obtained his BSc in General
Chemistry from the University of Madras in 1991, and his MSc in Applied
Chemistry from Anna University in 1993. Under
the post-graduate scholarship of the Nanyang Technological University he
obtained his PhD in 2001 in the field of Polymer/Materials Chemistry. From
2000-2003 he worked as a post-doctoral scientist in the Physical Chemistry
Group of Professor Manfred Schmidt at the University of Mainz, Germany. From
2003-2004 he worked as a research associate in the Polymer Group of Professor
Masanori Hara at Rutgers University, USA. From 2005-2008 he worked as assistant
professor in the Soft Matter Group of Professor Jan Skov Pedersen at the
University of Aarhus, Denmark.
In December 2008 he joined NIE as an
assistant professor of Physical Materials Chemistry. His research interest is
cross-disciplinary such as: ‘Smart’ Polymers (Synthesis and Applications),
Nanogels, Surfactants, Microemulsions (Formulation Engineering and Phase
Behavior), Plastinization of flowers and leaves, Complex Reaction Dynamics, and
Advanced Scattering Methods (Light scattering, Small Angle X-ray Scattering,
Small Angle Neutron Scattering)
- PhD (2001): Nanyang Technological
- MSc (1997): Nanyang Technological
- MSc (1993): Anna University
(1991): University of Madras
- Danish Neutron Scattering Society
- Danish Colloid and Interface Society
- Belgian Particle Colloid and Interface
- Danish Medical and Health Research Council
- Danish Natural Science Research Council
- Post-graduate Research Scholarship of NTU
- Jawaharlal Nehru Science Talent Book Award
for Outstanding Science Student (1988)
- AAY102 Fundamentals of Physical Chemistry
- AAY201 Introduction to Spectroscopy
- AAY202 Chemical Kinetics and
- AAY303 Experimental Techniques in Chemistry
- DSS101 Selected Topics for Primary Science
Teaching (Physical Science Tutorial)
- MLS851 Polymer Chemistry and Biomaterials
- QCY522 The Teaching of Chemistry III
- “Smart” Polymers (Hydrogels, Nanogels,
- Surfactants, Microemulsions, and
- Targeted Drug Delivery Systems
- Advanced Scattering Techniques (LS, SAXS,
- Complex Reaction Dynamics of Emulsions and
- RI 8/09 GRD Development of Novel Multi Stimuli-Responsive Intelligent Materials:
From Interesting Architectures to Biomedical Applications (2009 – 2012)
- Development and Characterization of Lipid-Based Drug Formulations for
Lipophilic Drugs. (Danish Medical and Health Research Council, 2007 – 2009)
- Characterization of Soft Matter Systems by Laser Light Scattering.
(Danish Natural Science and Technology Research Council, 2006 - 2007)
- Kinetic Pathways towards Equilibrium in
Soft Matter System. (Danish Natural Science and Technology Research Council, 2005 - 2007)
- NSSE Library Coordinator (2011 – present)
- Invited Judge, Singapore Science and
Engineering Fair (2010 – present)
- Invited Judge, Elementz Science Research
and Conference (2010)
- Trainer, International Chemistry Olympiad
(2010 – present)
- IQC Facilitator (NSSE PC Infinity Group)
(2009 – present)
- Advisory Board Member (International
Journal of Academic Research) (2009 – present).
- Gratian Macharaga (PhD - Ongoing):
Development of Titanium dioxide Nanoclusters by Dense Plasma Focus
- Kong Jen Fong (PhD – Ongoing): Study of
Crystalline and Amorphous Domains of Block Polymers (Co-supervisor).
- Jay Venkatasubramani (PhD – Ongoing): Drug
Delivery Carriers: Liposomes and Liponano-capsules (Co-supervisor)
Conferences and Workshops
- 14th International Conference on
Small-Angle Scattering, Oxford, UK, 2009.
- 2nd Danish Colloid and Interface
Symposium, Aarhus, Denmark, 2008.
- 5th Nordic Workshop on
Scattering from Soft Matter, Trondheim, Norway, 2008.
- 4th European Neutron Scattering
Conference, Lund, Sweden, 2007.
- 4th Scandinavian Workshop on
Scattering from Soft Matter, Lund, Sweden, 2007.
- 13th International Conference on
Small-Angle Scattering, Kyoto, Japan, 2006.
- Dynamical Phenomena in Soft Matter,
Grenoble, France, 2006.
- International Symposium on Functional and
Structural Polymeric Materials, Bayreuth, Germany, 2001.
- 73rd ACS Colloid and Surface
Science Symposium, Cambridge, USA, 1999.
Awards (won by Students)
- NRP-2009 Gold Award: Mr. Phua Tze Liang,
Hwa Chong Institution.
- NRP-2009 Merit Award: Mr. Loh Wei Liang,
Hwa Chong Institution.
- NRP-2010 Gold Award: Miss. Vivien Chua,
National Junior College.
- SNIC Workshop on Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry,
NUS, Singapore, 2010.
- Facilitation Skills for IQC Team Facilitators, NIE,
- Oleinitec 8th Nordic Rheology Course,
Bornholm, Denmark, 2008.
- 8th European Summer School of Scattering
Methods Applied to Soft Condensed Matter, Gironde, France, 2006.
- Science Mentor Programme and 16th Youth
Science Conference, Singapore, 2011, 2010.
- Nanyang Research Progamme, Singapore, 2011, 2010,
- 4th Aarhus Winter Meeting of Danish
Chemical Society, Denmark, 2008.
- 6th iNANO Annual Meeting, Denmark, 2008.
- 3rd Annual Meeting of Self Organization
under Confinement, Sweden, 2007.
- 3rd Aarhus Winter Meeting of Danish
Chemical Society, Denmark, 2007.
- 5th iNANO Annual Meeting, Denmark, 2007.
- Small Scapes: An Introduction to Nanotechnology,
- Nano Food Consortium, Denmark, 2005.
- Department of Chemistry, University of Aarhus,
- Department of Pharmacy, University of Portsmouth,
- Institute of Physics, University of Sao Paulo,
- Institute of Materials Research and Engineering,
- School of Materials Science and Engineering, NTU,