Timothy obtained a BSc (Honours) in Biochemistry and worked at Tan Tock Seng Hospital as a Medical Technologist prior to receiving his MSc from NIE/NTU for his work on the serological diagnosis of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. From 2003 to early 2009, he taught a variety of life science in-service courses at the DNA Centre @ NIE, with a focus on molecular biology and DNA science, as well as academic courses in the life sciences at all levels. Since 2008, his teaching portfolio has broadened to include curriculum studies in science and technology subjects.
A lifelong 'maker', Timothy's interests in both teaching and research, are in the teaching of science with an integrated approach through STEM integration and the use of design-and-make activities. He has always been keen to develop teaching materials, laboratory experiments and demonstrations to cater to the needs of teachers in the integrated, interdisciplinary teaching of the natural sciences in schools. In particular, he is interested in approaches that in recent years have become defined as 'maker culture', such as where learners learn science by building their own instrumentation or devices. He is also interested in the applied use of technology in science education, such as using connected internet of things (IoT) sensors for data acquisition and analysis.
Currently, Timothy mainly teaches pre-service curriculum studies in Computer Applications (CPA) and Primary Science, as well as selected in-service courses in Primary Science.
- MSc 1999, NIE/NTU, Singapore
- BSc (Hons) in Biochemistry 1995, University of Kent, UK
- International Affiliate Member, American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- Member, International Technology and Engineering Educators Association (ITEEA)
- Member, The Singapore Institute of Biology (SIBiol)
- Excellence in Teaching Commendation 2012
- Nanyang Award for Teamwork 2012 (for IBO 2012 Organising Committee)
- QCQ520 Topics in Computer Applications
- QCQ521 Computer Laboratories and Resources
- QCQ522 Assessment and Coursework
- QCQ523 Instructional Approaches to Computer Applications
- ACS20A Curriculum and Practices for Primary Science
- QCS50H Informal Science Learning Environments for Primary Science
- INS1015 An Integrated Thematic Approach to Teaching Primary Science
- INS4407 Introduction to themes in primary science - Energy in Primary Science
Other recent courses:
- QCS501 Curriculum and Pedagogy for Primary Science
- QCS502 Assessment Modes and Resource Management in Primary Science (Tutor)
- QCS503 Innovations in design and practices for primary science (Tutor)
- ACS301 Assessment Modes and Resource Management in Primary Science (Tutor)
- ACS402 Current Trends, Issues and Challenges in Primary Science
- DCS201 Innovations in design and practices for primary science (Tutor)
- INS4406 Introduction to Themes in Primary Science - Interactions in Primary Science
- AGE195 Chemistry for Life Sciences
- BI6101 Introductory Biology (for NTU's MSc in Bioinformatics programme, 2003-2012)
- STEM Integration and Design-based Inquiry (DBI) with the microbial fuel cell
- Developing teaching demonstrations and experiments
- Use of technology (e.g. IoT-connected sensors) for learning and the development of skills in science
- Maker culture: Building of DIY/improvised instrumentation as a means to learn science, and to foster the development of critical and inventive thinking
- Member, Organising Committee, 23rd International Biology Olympiad, Singapore (2012)
- Represented Singapore as an Observer at the 20th International Biology Olympiad, Tsukuba, Japan (2009)
- Editor, SIBiol Bulletin (2007 - 2010)
- Council Member, The Singapore Institute of Biology (2006 - 2013)
- Honorary Treasurer, The Singapore Institute of Biology (2003 - 2006)
Conferences & Workshops
- 2017 Korean Association for Science Education (KASE) International Conference, Seoul, Korea, 2017.
- 46th Annual Australasian Science Education Research Association (ASERA) Conference, Perth, Australia, 2015.
- International Science Education Conference (ISEC), Singapore, 2014.
- 41st SEFI (European Society of Engineering Education) Annual Conference, Leuven, Belgium, 2013.
- 2nd P-12 Engineering and Design Research Summit, Washington DC, USA, 2012.
- East-Asian Association for Science Education (EASE) Conference, Gwangju, Korea, 2011 (Workshop).
- Lee, P.P.F., Teo, Y.C., Tan, T.T.M.*, & Koh, K.J.T. (2011). A Model for the Teaching of Column Separation Science. The Chemical Educator, 16:109-113. DOI: 10.1333/s00897102352a
- Tan et al. (2007), 'Gel Electrophoresis: DNA Science without the DNA!', Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education, 35(5):342-349. DOI: 10.1002/bmb.83