Visit our Open House on 1 March 2014. Click here for details.
A number of scholarships are available to new students in NIE. Do note that the University does not provide any assistance towards all travels or other costs nor does it guarantee employment to scholars on the successful completion of their degree candidature. All scholarships are for full-time studies only, except for the Early Childhood Development Agency Scholarship.
List of scholarships available:
- Nanyang President’s Graduate Scholarship
- Nanyang Technological University Research Scholarship
- Pradap Kow Scholarship
- ECDA-Child Care Scholarships and Teaching Awards
Nanyang President’s Graduate Scholarship
The Nanyang President's Graduate Scholarship (NPGS) is a competitive and prestigious sponsorship scheme designed to encourage outstanding graduates or final-year students to take their first step towards a leading research career by studying for a doctoral degree programme (PhD) at the Nanyang Technological University (NTU), one of Asia's leading research universities.
For further information and to apply, please click on the following link:
Nanyang Technological University Research Scholarship
Eligibility to Apply
Only PhD candidates with First Class Honours or Second Class (Upper Division) Honours or its equivalent are considered for the scholarship regardless of their citizenship. Applicants must, at the time of the award of the Research Scholarship, have been assured of admission as a full-time candidate for a higher degree by research of this University.
Terms and Conditions of Award
- The Research Scholarship will take effect from the date on which the scholar reports to the Dean of the School concerned, provided he is already a full-time higher degree student by research of this University.
- The Research Scholarship will carry a monthly stipend in the range of S$2,000 - S$2,800. The amount payable to each scholar will be determined after taking into consideration the candidate's qualifications, experience, performance and other relevant factors.
- The scholarship award will also cover the amount of research fee, computer fee as well as amenities fee.
- The Research Scholarship shall be tenable for one year in the first instance and renewed annually subject to the scholar's satisfactory progress. The maximum period of award is 4 years.
- The scholar must undertake to carry out research work at this University as directed by the Dean of the School concerned. They must diligently pursue and complete all the requirements for the higher degree within the prescribed period of the award.
- Upon confirmation of PhD candidature, the scholar is required to assist their School in teaching duties for three hours a week. There will be no remuneration.
- In addition, the scholar may be required by the Dean concerned to assist the School in academic or administrative work not more than ten hours a week for which he will be remunerated at such rates as may be determined by the University. The scholar may not otherwise accept employment whether or not he is remunerated, or hold concurrently any other scholarship, fellowship or other award without the prior approval of the President of the University.
- The University reserves the right to terminate the Research Scholarship:
- at any time without notice if, in the University's opinion, the scholar's progress is not satisfactory or for any misconduct or any other similar reason; or
- at any time without notice if the scholar breaches or fails to perform or comply with any of these terms and conditions; or
- at any time without notice if the scholar fails to or is unable to continue or complete the higher degree due to any reason; or
- at any time by giving one month's notice in writing to the scholar without assigning any reasons therefore.
- The scholar may terminate the research scholarship by giving one month's notice in writing or pay the University a sum equivalent to one month's stipend in lieu of notice.
- The award is given on the condition that the scholar passes the University's medical examination.
- The University reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of this award at any time by written notice to you.
For candidates who are not Singapore Citizens/Permanent Residents
The offer of this award is conditional upon the scholar being issued a valid Student's Pass by the Singapore Immigration and maintaining a valid Student's Pass for the entire duration of the scholar's studies for the higher degree. The issuance of Student's Pass by the Singapore Immigration is also subject to medical clearance.
Please note that the terms and conditions of the award in this paper are subject to changes without notice.
No separate form is required for the application of Nanyang Technological University Research Scholarship. You may apply for the Scholarship by indicating in the online application form. Although scholarships are available during the August and January intakes, you are encouraged to apply for the scholarship for the August intake. Please ensure your eligibility before applying for the scholarship.
Pradap Kow Scholarship
The Pradap Kow Scholarship Fund is an endowment established by the estate of Mr Koh Choon Joo (deceased) in remembrance of his wife, Madam Pradap Kow who was also a teacher during her time. The income generated from the invested fund is used to fund postgraduate scholarships.
Eligibility to Apply
- Master's programme (by Research) at the National Institute of Education.
- Area of research shall have direct implications for pedagogy or education policy in Singapore.
- Preference shall be given to Singaporeans or Singapore Permanent Residents.
Tenure of Award
- The Scholarship shall be awarded to the candidate for a maximum of two years of study.
- The candidate must, when awarded the Scholarship, undertake to study on a full-time basis.
Value of Award
- A monthly stipend of S$1,500, effective from the date of commencement of the Master's programme.
- The Scholarship will also cover the amount of Research Fee and Computer Fee for a maximum of two years of study.
- There shall be no bond of service in Singapore attached to the Scholarship.
The area of research shall have direct implications for pedagogy or education policy in Singapore.
In making its recommendations, the selection committee shall consider the following:
- Academic record
- Research proposal
- Work experience
Applicants would also have been required to meet the general entry requirements to Masters' programme and other specific conditions.
Withdrawal of Award
The scholarship may be withdrawn at any time if in the opinion of the University / NIE the progress or behaviour of the scholar has not been satisfactory.
Applications must be made on the prescribed forms and submitted to the Dean, Office of Graduate Studies & Professional Learning at the times stipulated.
Frequency of Award
Subject to the University's prevailing spending policy, the scholarship may be awarded in each academic year. However, the Selection Committee can decide not to award the scholarship if there are no suitable candidates.
The President may, in his or her discretion, waive any of the provisions of these rules.
ECDA-Child Care Scholarships and Teaching Awards
The Early Childhood Development Agency currently offers scholarship for applicants of Master of Education (Early Childhood) programme. For more information, please click here.