Sub-Dean, Higher Professional Learning Degrees
Thank you for your interest in the NIE’s Doctor of Education (EdD) and the Doctor of Education (EdD Dual Award) programmes. These professional doctorate programmes are specially designed for professionals in education and education-related fields who would like to extend their expertise and training and develop skills in research, evaluation and reflection in practice. The innovative, flexible, integrative and vibrant programmes have a clear purpose and coherence that is staged in such a way that it seeks to take the students’ rich and diverse professional knowledge and expertise as the starting point for their academic investigations into professional practice and scaffolds, through carefully staged and incrementally organized coursework and assignments, the students’ capacities to critically examine and to research dimensions of their practice.
We expect that the programmes will result in graduates who will be:
- Ethical educational leaders who model and promote high standards of professional conduct particularly in the development and implementation of educational policy and practices impacting stakeholders;
- Knowledgeable and sensitive educators/educational leaders skillful in guiding communities and organizations to help improve student outcomes and teacher effectiveness;
- Visionary and effective professional scholars grounded in high quality applied research which has the intention of positively influencing education in the classroom, in the institution, and in the organization;
- Change agents transforming their teaching environment through deep understanding of teaching and learning and having the skills to integrate theory, research and practice;
- Professional leaders with abilities to identify, understand, and manage complex ‘field-based’ educational issues.
The NIE has also partnered with the University of London’s Institute of Education (IOE), to deliver a world-class EdD (Dual Award) degree, accredited and awarded by both institutions. It is a unique opportunity to gain doctorates from two universities of international stature, to examine issues from international perspectives and to undertake a course of study in two of the world’s most exciting locations. Students admitted to the EdD (DA) will choose either IOE London or NIE Singapore as their ‘home’ institution, and study the majority of the programme there. They will then transfer to the alternate institution to complete their thesis.
To experience the EdD or the EdD (DA) with NIE is to be stretched and supported, challenged and commended, and be inspired and be inspirational. Do visit the websites of EdD and EdD (DA) for the academic aspects of our EdD, but certainly, accept our invitation to talk with us about how we live true to our engagement in a doctoral programme in having and acting on high expectations for each other in the quality of teaching, researching, learning, and application of that learning in an exciting lived experience, above and beyond the academics. Come visit and chat with us!
All the best!Associate Professor Isabella Wong
Sub Dean, Higher Professional Learning Degrees