International students who choose to pay a lower tuition fee (and thus receive higher subsidy) will have to take up a 3-year service obligation. As part of the service obligation, the international student is required to work in Singapore-based companies upon graduation.
Singapore-based companies refer to local companies and international companies that have a base in Singapore which is registered with the Accounting & Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA).
The duration of the service obligation is fixed at 3 years, regardless of the duration of study at subsidised rates.
Graduate students who are applying for MOE-subsidised graduate degree (Research) are eligible to apply for the scheme. Eligible applicants are to receive subsidy up to the normal programme duration of their degree programmes.
Please refer to the tuition fees document here.
Students who had previously enjoyed MOE subsidy in a graduate degree will not be eligible for MOE subsidy in another graduate degree of the same or lower level.
Application for service obligation is subject to the approval of MOE.
Eligible students will indicate whether they would like to opt for the service obligation via the offer of admission package.
Application and Signing Procedures
For students enrolled in Semester 1 AY2021-2022 - Aug 2021 intake
Online Registration with the Ministry of Education (MOE)
One has to register online with MOE from 7 September to 13 September 2021. The process is as follows:
- Go to the Ministry of Education (MOE) website.
- Click on the “Student Login” option.
- Have two sureties/guarantors (of any nationality). The guarantors must be aged 21 and above but below 65 and must not be an un-discharged bankrupt.
- Sign the service obligation agreement to be put under the higher subsidy (and therefore pay a lower tuition fee) and serve a 3-year bond by working in a Singapore registered company upon graduation.
Note: Please contact MOE at MOE_tgonline@moe.gov.sg if you encounter any problem with the online registration at MOE's website.
Details on the Signing of the Service Obligation Agreement (SOA)
Tentative Procedures for Digital Signing
- Students will download their personalised SOA (MOE Pre-signed) from TGonline and send it to his sureties.
- Sureties will print the SOA and sign on Page 9 and send the signed SOA (Hard copy) together with a copy of the sureties' passport or government-issued identification card with photo to the student.
- Student will sign on Page 8 and Page 9 of the signed SOA (Hard copy) after receiving it from sureties.
- Student will write the date that he signed the SOA on Page 1 and Page 8.
- Student will scan the signed SOA together with the copy of sureties' passport or identification card as a PDF file using Microsoft Office Lens App.
- Student to name the scan documents (SO Agreement with sureties' identification documents) using their UIN number in the format NTUSO_SOA_<UIN>.pdf
- Student to send the PDF document to MOE by replying to the original mass e-mail using his/her NTU student e-mail account.
- Student to submit the original hardcopy signed SOA(s) together with the copy of sureties' passport documents to Office of Academic Administration and Services (OAAS).
Note: The letter and guide will be provided nearer to the digital signing period.
Date: 27 September 2021 to 8 October 2021
Venue: SO Signing will be via digital SO Signing Portal.
Email will be send in due course.
Please check your NTU email regularly.
Please note that there will only be one registration and signing session for the Service Obligation per intake.
For further enquiries about the Service Obligation Scheme, please refer to the MOE's website or contact MOE's Tuition Grant Unit at:
Tuition Grant Section
School Placement and Services Division
Customer Service Centre (MOE Podium Block)
Ministry of Education, Singapore
1 North Buona Vista Drive