There are two options within this programme. You are required to either:
- Complete 6 courses plus a dissertation (Dissertation option), or
- Complete 7 courses plus MAE990 Integrative Project (Coursework option)
You do not have to make the decision when you apply.
- MAE900 Research Methodology in Applied Linguistics
Required Specialisation Courses (Choose two)
- MAE901 Discourse Studies
- MAE902 Language Acquisition Studies
- MAE903 Sociolinguistic Perspectives on the Classroom
- MAE904 Language Teaching Methodology
Elective Courses (Choose two for dissertation option or three for coursework option)
- MAE901 Discourse Studies **
- MAE902 Language Acquisition Studies **
- MAE903 Sociolinguistic Perspectives on the Classroom **
- MAE904 Language Teaching Methodology **
- MAE905 Language Curriculum: Theory and Practice
- MAE906 Classroom Discourse Analysis
- MAE907 Oracy Development and Research
- MAE908 Research in Teaching Written Discourse
- MAE909 The Culture and Conventions of Academic Writing
- MAE910 Corpora in Applied Linguistics
- MAE911 English as an International Language
- MAE912 Literacies in Society
- MAE913 Systemic Functional Linguistics
- MAE914 Topics in Pragmatics
- MAE915 Language Testing and Assessment
- MAE916 Critical Literacy: Theory into Practice in the Language Classroom
- MAE917 The History and Practice of Reading
- MAE918 Bilingualism and Biliteracy: Theory and Practice
- MAE919 Second Language Phonology
- MAE920 Second Language Reading Pedagogy
- MAE921 Psycholinguistics
** You may opt to take one or both of the remaining two Required Specialisation courses in fulfilment of your electives requirement.
One Open Elective Course
The course is to be selected from any of the courses offered in NIE’s Master’s degree programmes, including the MAAL programme. You are advised to take note of the prerequisites (if any) before registering.
Please note that not all courses listed under a semester will actually be offered. Course offering depends on staff availability.
Download the course descriptions for the programme
In line with SkillsFuture Singapore's (SSG) initiative, some of the courses in this programme can be taken as standalone modular graduate courses and accumulated into credits leading to the master’s degree.
Important note for matriculated students:
Please refer to the ISAAC system for the programme structure relevant to your intake during Course Registration or consult your programme leader if you need clarifications.
Note: Programme structure is subject to changes