Effective from August 2017 intake
The coursework for this specialisation comprises 1 core course, 2 required specialisation courses, 2 specialisation elective courses, 1 open elective course plus either:
- a dissertation or
- two additional courses (one specialisation elective and MED 902 Integrative Project)
MED 902 Integrative Project is open only for applicants pursuing the degree totally by coursework.
- MED 900 Educational Inquiry
Required Specialisation Courses
- MEL 901: Language and Literature Education
- MEL 902: Analyzing Literature and Language
Specialisation Elective Courses
- MEL 911: English as an International Language
- MEL 912: Language Teacher Education and Professional Development
- MEL 913: Materials Design and Development
- MEL 914: Teaching Oral Communication: Current Theories and Approaches
- MEL 915: Language Assessment in the Classroom and Beyond
- MEL 916: Second Language Acquisition and Pedagogy
- MEL 917: Teaching Grammar and Writing
- MEL 918: Reading in a Multimodal Age
- MEL 919: Popular Culture
- MEL 920: Creative Writing in the Classroom
- MEL 921: Literature, Culture and Education
- MEL 922: Teaching Shakespeare
- MEL 923: Literary Theory and Teaching
- MEL 924: World Literatures
- MEL 925: Literature and Film
- MEL 926: Young Adult Literature in the English Classroom
- MEL 927: Aims and Approaches to Designing Literature Curriculum and Assessment
- MEL 928: Children's Literature for the English Classroom
Open Elective Courses
Other than the core and specialisation courses, you may select open elective courses offered across all NIE Master Degree programmes. The offer of electives is reviewed regularly to reflect developments in education and the respective fields. You are advised to take note of the prerequisites (if any) before registering.
Optional Specialisation Courses are offered subject to demand and availability of faculty expertise. Hence, not all specialisation courses are available for selection to every intake.
Download the course descriptions for the programme
In line with SkillsFuture Singapore's (SSG) initiative, some of the courses in this programme can be taken as standalone modular graduate courses and accumulated into credits leading to the master’s degree.
Important note for matriculated students:
Please refer to the ISAAC system for the programme structure relevant to your intake during Course Registration or consult your programme leader if you need clarifications.
Note: Programme structure is subject to changes