The coursework for this specialisation comprises 2 core courses, 2 required specialisation courses, 3 specialisation elective courses, 1 open elective course plus either:
- a dissertation or
- two additional courses (one open elective and MMM 800 Critical Inquiry)
MMM 800 Critical Inquiry is open only for applicants pursuing the degree totally by coursework, and can be taken only on completion of eight courses.
- MED 871 Educational Inquiry I
- MED 872 Educational Inquiry II
Required Specialisation Courses
- MLE 801 Developing Reading Skills in the Literature Classroom
- MLE 802 Literature, Culture and Education
Specialisation Elective Courses (Choose any 3 courses)
- MLE 806 Texts in the Literature Classroom
- MLE 807 Teaching Shakespeare
- MLE 808 Literary Theory and Teaching
- MLE 809 Creative Writing in the Classroom
- MLE 810 World Literatures
- MLE 811 Teaching Literature in the Digital Age
- MLE 812 Literature and Visual Culture in the Classroom
- MLE 813 Adolescent Literature
- MLE 814 Literature Assessment: Issues in Approach and Design
- MLE 815 Teaching Contemporary British Literature
- MAE 808 Language and Literature Education
Open Elective Courses (Choose any 1 course)
Other than the core and specialisation courses, you may select open elective courses offered across all NIE Master Degree programmes. The offer of electives is reviewed regularly to reflect developments in education and the respective fields. You are advised to take note of the prerequisites (if any) before registering.
More details on the full course list and description of English Literature can be found here
Optional Specialisation Courses are offered subject to demand and availability of faculty expertise. Hence, not all specialisation courses are available for selection to every intake.
Important note for matriculated students:
Please refer to the ISAAC system for the programme structure relevant to your intake during Course Registration or consult your programme leader if you need clarifications.
Note: Programme structure is subject to changes