Muhammad Ariff Ahmad (MAS) Postgraduate Scholarship and Research Grant are initiated in honor of Dr Muhammad Ariff Ahmad, a highly-regarded Malay scholar whose encyclopedic knowledge and contributions in the fields of Malay literature, culture, education and language are pivotal in shaping and advancing Malay cultural studies in Singapore and the region.
The MAS Postgraduate Scholarship and MAS Research Grant are dedicated to generate further Malay language, literature, education and culture corpuses by inviting applicants who are pursuing postgraduate studies in the relevant fields, and researchers who are embarking on academic explorations that elevate Malay cultural studies to cross-cultural and international discourses.
Applicants for MA and PhD scholarship are to enroll in one of the six autonomous /public universities in Singapore, namely:
- National University of Singapore
- Nanyang Technological University
- Singapore Management University
- Singapore University of Technology and Design
- Singapore Institute of Technology
- Singapore University of Social Sciences
For MA candidates:
- Open to Singaporeans and Singapore Permanent Residents with First Class or Second Class (Upper Division) Honours only.
For PhD Candidates:
- Open to all with excellent academic record, regardless of nationality
Applicants for MA and PhD scholarship should not concurrently hold any other scholarship, fellowship, bursary during the prescribed period of the MAS Scholarship.
Application for MAS Research Grant is open to all local and international scholars.
Field of Study
Malay Studies (including all areas related to the Malay community, viz. language, literature, culture, education, religion, etc.) Research on the work of Muhammad Ariff Ahmad will be given preference.
Value of Award
Masters Degree - $15,000
Doctor of Philosophy - $25,000
Research Grant - up to $25,000
Disbursement of the Award
- Masters Degree - $5,000 will be disbursed to the successful applicant upon registration for the MA degree programme in the first semester, and the balance of $10,000 to be disbursed upon confirmation of the applicant’s candidature.
- Doctor of Philosophy - $5,000 will be disbursed to the successful applicant in the first semester of the PhD programme, $10,000 will be disbursed upon confirmation of the applicant’s candidature, and the balance of $10,000 will be disbursed upon submission of good progress report from the supervisor, at least one year after confirmation of candidature.
- Research Grant - Payment will be made in stages depending on research duration and upon submission of research progress reports.
Application period and closing date
- Application period: 15th September to 30th November of each calendar year.
The application form for Scholarship can be found here.
The application for Research Grant can be found here.
Send supporting documents, hardcopy of the completed application form to ALC/NIE. For Research Grant, applicants must submit 2 samples of publication and certified true copy of transcripts of results from previous educational institutions.
Application should reach ALC/NIE by the closing date. Late submission will not be entertained.
Recommendation letters from TWO referees to be sent to ALC/NIE directly.
Selected applicant will be interviewed.
Incomplete applications will be rejected. Regretfully, submissions will not be returned.
All application forms with attached supporting documents must reach ALC/NIE before the closing date of 15th February.
Asian Languages & Cultures Academic Group
National Institute of Education
1 Nanyang Walk
If you have any enquiries about MAS Scholarship / Research Grant, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org, attention to Mrs Catherine Neubronner-Lim, Manager, Asian Languages & Cultures Academic Group, National Institute of Education, Singapore. A brochure on the scholarship can be downloaded here.
Back to top