Dr Tan Liang See Keynote Speaker at the World Council for Curriculum and Instruction - ASEAN
Thursday, 09 November 2017
Dr Tan Liang See, Assistant Dean (School Partnerships) and Head of Centre for Research in Pedagogy and Practice at the Office of Education Research, was invited as a Keynote Speaker at the World Council for Curriculum and Instruction ASEAN Conference which took place from 17-19 August 2017 in Cubao, Quezon City, Philippines.
Dr Tan’s presentation was titled “Nurturing the Future-ready Teachers: Pedagogical Inquiry and Teacher Learning” and spoke about how Singapore teachers learn as well as how teacher learning improves education through pedagogical inquiry. She discussed some key tenets of teacher learning in the Singapore context and drew lessons learned from the state of research in teacher learning and professional development in Singapore.
The other staff and students from NIE who presented at the conference and their presentation titles are as follows:
- Dr Chen Zhong, Asst Prof at NIE’s Natural Sciences and Science Education Academic Group – “Creation of biology whiteboard animations and evaluation on their educational effectiveness”
- Dr Sa’eda Binte Buang, Asst Head of NIE’s Asian Languages and Cultures Academic Group – “Schools’ endeavor to ‘humanize’ Malay language testing through Assessment for Learning (AfL)”
- Regina Yeo Shu Wen – “Let's Bring the Popcorn: Using Popular Films in Science Class”
- Nur Syafinah Binte Zainal – “Character and Citizenship Education (CCE) at Lower Primary Level: Identifying Moral Dilemmas in Buku Kecil Series”
- Siti Nurhamizah Binte Mohd Ebrahim – “Character and Citizenship Education (CCE) at lower primary level: the teaching and learning of conflict resolution in Malay language CCE lessons in Singapore”
- Hui Sou Kun – “Examining the Portrayal of Girlhood in Series Books for Girls”
Dr Chen Zhong (Natural Sciences and Science Education AG), Dr Tan Liang See (Office of Education Research) and Dr Sa’eda Binte Buang (Asian Languages and Cultures AG)
From left to right: Regina Yeo Shu Wen, Dr Chen Zhong, Dr Tan Liang See, Nur Syafinah Binte Zainal, Dr Sa’eda Binte Buang, Siti Nurhamizah Binte Mohd Ebrahim, Hui Sou Kun