First Malay Secular School Already Existed in 1856
Saturday, 29 September 2012
Berita Harian (Local News, Pg 6)
The first two Malay secular schools during the British colony were Telok Blangah Primary School and Abdullah School in Kampong Gelam. These were some of the findings done by Dr Lim Peng Han, from Loughborough University in the UK, which he recently presented his thesis titled "A history of Malay secular schools in colonial and post-colonial Singapore - 1819 - 1985" at a seminar organised by the Malay Language and Cultures Department of the Asian Languages and Cultures Academic Group at NIE.
Source: Berita Harian (Local News, Pg 6), sph