Masuri SN Seminar: His Work and Contributions
Saturday, 26 July 2008
TWO-DAY SEMINAR "MASURI S.N.: HIS WORK AND CONTRIBUTIONS" ON SATURDAY, 26 JULY 2008, 9.00AM AT NATIONAL LIBRARY BOARD, 100 VICTORIA STREET, SINGAPORE
The National Institute of Education, Singapore (NIE) and the Malay Language Council of Singapore will be co-organising a seminar dedicated to the late Dr Masuri bin Salikun (Masuri SN), recipient of the Tun Sri Lanang Award and a renowned poet in the field of Malay literature, who passed away on 7 December 2005. "Masuri S.N.: His Work and Contributions" will be held at the National Library Building, Victoria Street from 26 to 27 July 2008.
The Malay Language Council of Singapore, under the auspices of the Ministry of Information, Communication and the Arts would like to show the nation's appreciation for his life-time contributions.
A special fund has been allocated to hold a special seminar to study Masuri's works which include his writings in various genres and contexts. The product of the seminar, a collection of research papers and discussions, will be published in the form of a book as a lasting tribute to Masuri's contributions to the development of the Malay language, literature and culture.
The seminar objectives are as follow:
- To study the works and contributions of Masuri SN to the development of the Malay language, literature and culture in Singapore, the region and the wider Malay world.
- To assess the works of Masuri SN and identify his thoughts, creativity and their uniqueness.
- To identify the effects and influence of the works of Masuri SN in the field of Malay language, literature and culture.
- To appreciate and acknowledge Masuri SN's contributions.
- To establish Masuri SN's contribution and position as a model literary figure for future generations.
About 30 papers will be presented, all focused on the works and contributions of Masuri SN. These will include text, genre and contextual studies, as well as interdisciplinary analysis of his work and a discussion of his place in world literature.
The seminar will present Malay Studies academics from a broad range of institutions, all experts in their respective fields, to present their papers to discuss the works and contributions of Singapore Malay literature's most well-known literary doyen.
Among the speakers to be highlighted are:
1. Prof Vladimir Braginsky (London School of Oriental and African studies, currently Visiting Professor at NIE) - A Dialogue Across Eurasia: Poetry by Masuri SN in the Context of Russian Malay Studies;
2. Prof Muhammad Haji Salleh (Malaysian National Laureate and a well-known poet) - A Dialogue with Dawn and Dusk: Masuri's Poetry through Time (Berdialog dengan Subuh dan Senja: Sajak-Sajak Masuri Melalui Waktu);
3. Assoc Prof Harry Aveling (Latrobe University, Australia) - An Australian Perspective on Place in the Poetry of Masuri S.N.;
4. Prof Budi Darma (Surabaya State University, Indonesia) - Masuri SN dan Indonesia;
5. Prof Hashim Awang (Universiti Brunei Darussalam) - Kelainan dalam Antologi Lukisan Rasa: Beberapa Catatan Awal; and
6. Haji Suratman Markasan, a well-known Singapore Malay writer and Masuri's contemporary.
This seminar, which will be conducted in both English and Malay, will be particularly relevant to writers, educationists, lecturers, scholars, culture experts and also students from the junior colleges, polytechnics, universities both within and outside the country. Participants will be charged a fee of $150.00 which includes registration, meals and seminar materials, and a ticket to watch artistic performances based on the works of Masuri S.N.
The National Library is also showcasing an exhibition on their collection of Masuri's published works, typescripts, related memorabilia as part of efforts to create awareness of Singapore's literary pioneers and the preservation of literary heritage. The exhibition will be held at Level 9 Promenade, National Library Building from 21 July - 18 August 2008 (excluding public holidays), 10.00am - 9.00pm, admission is free. In addition, the National Library has compiled a bibliography comprising works by Masuri in the various genres such as poetry, short stories, essays and literary critiques for reference and research.
More details (in Malay) about the seminar can be found at: http://mlcd.myplace.nie.edu.sg/masuri.html
ABOUT MALAY LANGUAGE COUNCIL, SINGAPORE
The Malay Language Council, under the auspices of the Ministry of Information, Communication and the Arts (MICA) represents Singapore in the Malaysia, Indonesia, and Brunei Language Council (MABBIM) meetings as an observer. MABBIM discusses issues that include alignment on Malay language spelling, terminologies and grammar in the region. The Malay Language Council organises two important biennial events: The Malay Language Month and the Malay Literary Award. Mr Hawazi Daipi, Senior Parliamentary Secretary (Manpower and Health) is the Chairman and Mr Masagos Zulkifli, Senior Parliamentary Secretary (Education and Home Affairs) is the Deputy Chairman.
Guests to be seated
Arrival of guest-of-honour, Dr Yaacob Ibrahim, Minister for Environment and Water Resources and Minister-In-Charge of Muslim Affairs
Opening speech by Associate Professor Hadijah Rahmat, Chairperson of Seminar Masuri S.N.
Speech by the Chairman, Malay Language Council Singapore, Mr Hawazi Daipi, Senior Parliamentary Secretary, Ministry of Manpower and Ministry of Health
Speech by guest-of-honour
Documentary "Masuri S.N. in Memories"
Exhibition "Ros Kupuja: Masuri S.N."