The Master of Science (Exercise and Sport Studies) programme is designed for participants with an interest in physical education, sports, fitness, health and wellness. It is structured to provide a balanced coverage of pedagogy, psychosocial, management and scientific aspects of human movement. It aims to enable professionals to upgrade their qualifications either for career advancement in schools or to qualify them to work in other sport science and management positions.
The programme aims to provide you with:
a greater knowledge base in human movement studies;
a career path for the study of exercise science and sport studies;
leadership skills for use in the sport and fitness area;
research perspectives on the field of human movement studies;
an ability to undertake research in your working environment;
the skills of a reflective practitioner; and
a conceptual grasp of issues affecting the future of sport and physical education in Singapore.
The programme offers to options. You may select to:
- Complete 8 courses plus a dissertation (Dissertation option); or
- Complete 10 courses (Coursework option)
For the coursework option, you will take a special course entitled "Critical Inquiry" as one of the 10 courses, designed to act as a capstone project for this programme.
For your reference, this is the recommended curriculum progression.
For Course Synopses, click here.
Please click on the course code for the respective course outline.
The course outlines provided serves as a general information guide for students.
Course content and assessment modes may vary for different lecturers.
Actual course outlines will be made known to students by the individual lecturers.
- MES833: Quantitative Research Design and Methods in Physical Education and Sports Science
- MES834: Qualitative Research Design and Methods in Physical Education and Sports Science
- MES803: Managing Sport and Exercise Organisations in Singapore
- MES804: Project Management in Sport: Theory, Methods and Issues
- MES805: The Culture of Sport
- MES806: Research on Teaching in PE
- MES807: Current Issues and Trends in PE and Sport
- MES808: The Theory and Practice of Coaching
- MES809: Physical Activity Information Systems
- MES810: Applied Sport Psychology Interventions
- MES811: Exercise Physiology and Physical Performance
- MES812: Physical Activity and Lifestyle Behaviour
- MES813: Exercise, Nutrition and Obesity
- MES814: Neuromuscular Biomechanics
- MES815: Sport Biomechanics
- MES816: Motor Control
- MES817: Motor Development
- MES818: Sport and PE Internship
- MES819: Special Topics
- MES821: Developmental Supervision for Physical Educators
- MES824: Exercise Psychology: Psychology of Physical Activity
- MES832: Constructivist Approaches to Teaching PE
Duration of Study
You may complete the programme in 2 to 4 years on a part-time basis.
You should have:
(a) A good Bachelor's degree, preferably with strong honours, in exercise and sport studies or a related field; or
(b) A good Bachelor's degree from a recognised university, not in exercise and sport studies, with a diploma or postgraduate diploma in exercise and sport studies or its equivalent; and
(c) Professional experience that commensurate with the programme's content and outcomes.
International applicants whose first language is not English are required to submit an official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score. Test dates must be within the last 2 years before the date of your application.
Interviews may be conducted to determine applicant's suitability for the programme.
Application for Admission
There is generally only one intake for this programme, in January. You are advised to visit the website and look out for NIE’s announcements in May/June to confirm if the programme will be open for application at any particular intake.
Applications may be made online. More information on application details can be found here.
(i) For specific academic issues relating to the PE programme
Programme Leader: A/P G Balasekaran
Tel: 6790 3686
Programme Administrator: Ms Yow Chea Nuan
Tel: 6790 3682
(ii) For issues such as admissions and application
For Admission matters, please email to: email@example.com
For Postgraduate Programme matters, please email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office of Graduate Studies and Professional Learning (GPL)
National Institute of Education
Nanyang Technological University
1 Nanyang Walk
Tel: (65) 6790 3888