- Associate Professor (Tenured)
- Chair, Master's by Coursework
- Post Doctoral Fellow (Molecular Genetics, University of Pittsburgh, USA)
- PhD (University of Pittsburgh, USA)
- MSc (Indiana University of Pennsylvania, USA)
- BSc [Summa Cum Laude Honours] (Indiana University of Pennsylvania, USA)
- Diploma in Physical Education (College of Physical Education, Singapore)
Dr Balasekaran obtained his doctorate from the University of Pittsburgh and he did his Post Doctoral Fellowship in molecular genetics at the University of Pittsburgh with a renowned genetics professor. At present he is an Associate Professor and his research projects include physiological responses in exercise and adaptations to health and sports performance, also investigating the influence of genetic factors on exercise related outcomes. He is currently actively involved in investigating physiological predictors of human performance.
As a keen runner and a former national competitor, Dr. Bala had represented Singapore in long distance running events and had won medals in various international and local meets. He had also qualified and raced in the prestigious National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) cross-country championships in USA where American athletes are often selected to represent the USA at elite international events, such as the Olympics. He is a Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine (FACSM) which is the most prestigious distinction within the college and is a certified American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) Health/Fitness Director. He has also a strong interest in coaching and holds the level one and level two International Amateur Athletic Federation (IAAF) coaching certificates.