Yann Shiou is a science educator and researcher who believes engaging learners in argumentation without being quarrelsome can lead to improved ideas and knowledge claims while developing learners’ critical thinking. Her current research focuses on students’ epistemic practices in scientific inquiry, specifically how students engage in group critique and construction of scientific claims. While Yann Shiou takes a pragmatic approach to data analysis, her research questions have mostly landed themselves to qualitative methods, particularly discourse analysis. Her other research interests include integrated STEM education, scientific models and modelling, collaborative learning, and social metacognition.
Prior to joining NSSE, Yann Shiou was a science teacher, department head for science (junior high), then dean (junior high) at National Junior College. She had the privilege of working with dedicated educators to design and implement the 4-year and 6-year Integrated Programme science curricula. Yann Shiou taught integrated sciences, physics (junior high and senior high levels), and science inquiry (including scientific research as an H3 subject).
- PhD, 2018 (The Pennsylvania State University, USA)
- MSc (Dist), 2011 (University of Bristol, UK)
- PGDE, 2004 (National Institute of Education, Nanyang Technological University)
- BSc (Hons 1st class), 2003 (National University of Singapore)
- European Science Education Research Association (ESERA)
- Institute of Physics Singapore (IPS)
- International Society of Learning Sciences (ISLS)
- MSC 887/MSC 905 Science Discourse: Language, Literacy & Argumentation
Post-Graduate Diploma in Education
- QCP 52A Understanding the Physics Curriculum
- QCP 52C Assessment in Physics Education
- QCP 52D Innovating Physics Teaching and Learning
- ACP 42A Assessment in Physics Education
- Scientific and epistemic practices (e.g., argumentation and modelling)
- Scientific inquiry
- Physics education
- STEM education
- Collaborative learning
- Social metacognition
- Discourse analysis
- Reviewer for AERA, NARST, and ISLS conferences.
Conferences and Workshops
- International Science Education Conference (ISEC) 2018. Singapore
- ESERA 2017 conference. Dublin, Ireland
- International Conference of Learning Sciences (ICLS) 2016. Singapore.
- Computer Supported Collaborative Learning (CSCL) conference 2015. Gothenburg, Sweden.