Kok Siang is a Senior Lecturer in Science and Chemical Education at the National Institute of Education. Before becoming a qualified school teacher, he worked for a few years in the chemical fluid purification industry (with Pall Corporation, a US MNC) and then as a quality assurance chemist in the pharmaceutical industry (with Glaxochem, now known as GlaxoSmithKline, a UK MNC). Thereafter, he taught secondary school science for 12 years, including seven years as Head of the Science Department. In 2000 he joined NIE to help train pre- and in-service teachers. His areas of research and practice in schools and at NIE include Reflective Learning, School Experimental Science and Affective Learning in Science Education.
- Assessment in School Science (including Assessment for Learning and Differentiated Assessment)
- Pedagogy in Affective Learning Domain (values education, 21st Century Competencies)
- Reflective pedagogy in the classroom/laboratory (workshops for teachers and reflective classroom/laboratory lessons for students)
- Teaching and learning issues on Science Practical Assessment (including scaffolded laboratory instructions)
- Professional reflective practice for teachers
- International Teacher Professional Development Projects (with NIE International)
Research, Development & Consultation Projects
- NIE/NTU Undergraduate REsearch on CAmpus, URECA, BSc(Ed) Year 4 Student Project 2018/2019 (supervised student won the NTU Research Excellence Education Segment Award 2019 and the Global Undergraduate Research Award 2020)
- Co-PI, Formative Assessment (NIE, completed, 2016)
- Co-PI, Science Teacher Preparation in APEC Economies (International, completed 2016)
- Graduate Research Supervisor, Scaffolding (PhD Research, Graduated 2017).
- School-based Collaboration, Affective Learning in Science Education (ALiSE, completed 2016)
- Cambodian Curricular Review and Teacher Development Consultation Project sponsored by Asian Development Bank, administered by NIE International (2018-2020)
- Suzhou Industrial Park “Smart Home” International Teacher Training Program sponsored by Temasek Foundation, administered by NIE International (2018-2020)
- Brazilian Educators’ Professional Development Project sponsored by Instituto Ayrton Senna (IAS), supported by IE Singapore and administered by NIE International (2018)